Japan's women sailors serve on front line of gender equality
ABOARD THE MSDF SHIP KAGA â" Women serving on Japanâs biggest warship, the Kaga, are a t ight-knit group on the front line of a push to transform the Japanese navy into a mixed-gender fighting force, where men outnumber them more than 10 to one.
The Maritime Self Defense Force needs more women because falling birthrates mean it has too few men to crew warships in home waters or on helicopter carriers such as the Kaga, sailing in foreign waters to counter Chinaâs growing regional influence.
âWomen all over the world are working in a wider number of areas and I think Japan needs to be a part of that,â said Petty Officer Akiko Ihara, 31, standing beside one of the helicopters she helps to maintain.
The proportion of women in the Kagaâs 450-strong crew is about 9 percent, a level Japan is targeting for the military overall by 2030 from 6 percent now. That would still fall short of the U.S., where 15 percent of people in uniform are women, and Britain with 10 percent.
âWe all work in different teams around the ship but we are all friends,â Ihara added. âWe do sometimes moan a little about our male colleagues.â
The nine-year veteran says she has encountered no workplace discrimination, and would challenge any man who thinks women are unsuited for military life to work with her.
More women recruits are making the SDF a more âroundedâ organization, said Ayako Yoneda, 29, a firefighter and engineer on the Kaga.
âWhen I first joined nine years ago there were few women and it felt like men then didnât know how to deal with us,â she said. âI think the men now see things more from our perspective. The SDF has become a gentler place.â
Nonetheless, the women do face sexual harassment. In July, the navy discharged a male petty officer for kissing and groping three women sailors over several months.
Japanâs demographic woes are forcing it down a path taken years earlier by its U.S. ally, which lifted a ban on women on warships in 1993.
The MSDF, which let women crew ships a decade ago, could soon remove the last major barrier to female sailors by ending a ban on submarine duty, Defense Ministry sources have told Reuters.
Japan has one of the worldâs largest navies, with 45,000 crew members on more than 100 vessels, including about 20 submarines, more than 40 destroyers and four helicopter carriers, such as the Kaga.
The Kaga was on its way to Sri Lanka after drills in the contested South China Sea as part of a two-month deployment in waters stretching from the Western Pacific to the Indian Ocean.
Commissioned in 2017, it is among a new generation of warships designed to accommodate mixed crews, with more toilets and bathrooms than older vessels.
Signs at the entrance to the womenâs segregated sleeping quarters warn men to keep out. The women inside carry electronic pagers that can be contacted via numerical keypads beside the doors.
Those better facilities and privacy safeguards will draw more women to sign up, the M SDF hopes.
Japanâs navy struggles more to find recruits than the air force or army, as young people balk at the prospect of being cut off from social media networks on long deployments.
In 2016, for example, the Air Self-Defense Force received 6,900 applications, versus just 3,927 for the MSDF, even though both have about the same number of enlisted personnel.
Miku Ihara, 22, a woman cadet on the Kaga, says she reads books or studies when off-duty, but misses access to Line and Instagram. Sailors are limited to sending four text emails every day when at sea.
âYou just have to get used to not having it and make the most of it when you do,â she added.
The presence of women on board has had one unexpected benefit on the men that report to him, says Command Master Chief Yasuharu Tohno, the most senior enlisted sailor on board.
âThey shave regularly and iron their clothes,â said Tohno, who joined up to an all-male fleet 35 years ago.
L ATEST NATIONAL STORIES
- Tokyo named world's best city outside U.S. for third year in row in Conde Nast magazine poll
- Tokyo has been chosen as the world's best big city outside the United States for the third year in a row, the U.S. travel magazine Conde Nast Traveler said Tuesday. Readers cast more than 420,00...
- Aung San Suu Kyi 'appreciates' Japan's concerns over Rohingya crisis, says investigation panel ha...
- Visiting Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi told reporters Tuesday that she appreciates Japan's "straightforward" discussion on its concerns over Muslim refugees from the Southeast Asian country's Rak...
- Taiwan to vote on whether to maintain ban of some Japanese food products in referendum next month
- Taiwan will hold a referendum during local elections next month on whether to maintain a ban on food products from five Japanese prefectures imposed in the wake of the 2011 Fukushima nuclear dis...